Sell on Facebook: Sell stuff online with Facebook‘s free Marketplace feature. Facebook Marketplace is a free feature on Facebook where you can sell stuff online to local buyers. You can create listings for products and services you want to sell on Facebook Marketplace using the Facebook website or app. The process typically takes a few minutes to complete.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace on Desktop
Facebook Marketplace is built into the Facebook website, accessed from a web browser. You need a Facebook account and must be logged in to it to access the site’s Marketplace section.
Go to the Facebook website and select Marketplace from the left menu.
Alternatively, go directly to Facebook Marketplace by entering https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/ in the address bar.
Select Create New Listing.
Select a Listing Type. The options are items, cars, and homes for rent or sale.
Select Add Photos to include pictures of the item in your listing.
Facebook Marketplace listings must feature at least one photo.
Enter a Title, Price, and Category for your listing.
Place your listing in the correct category to help shoppers find it. Facebook may delete the listing and penalize your account if you add it to the wrong section.
Enter a Description to provide details about the item, like its condition, function, or anything else sellers might need to know.
Your general location should be filled in. If it’s incorrect or you want to change it, click the field and enter a new area.
This is the geographical area you’re willing to sell in, not your home address.
Use the Availability menu to specify how many pieces you’re selling. The options are:
- List as Single Item: You have one piece to sell.
- List as In Stock: If you have multiples of the same item to sell, use this option to keep the listing active after someone buys one.
Select Publish at the bottom of the screen to make the listing live.
How to Sell on Facebook Marketplace on Mobile
In addition to being available on the main Facebook website, Facebook Marketplace can also be accessed from the official iOS and Android apps for smartphones and tablets. As with the desktop option, you must log in to Facebook to buy and sell products and services on Facebook Marketplace.
Open the official Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet.
Select the three-lined icon in the horizontal menu.
The menu is at the top of the screen on Android devices and along the bottom on iOS devices such as the iPhone and iPad.
The iPod touch doesn’t support the Marketplace feature. The link doesn’t appear when using the app on one of those devices.
A list of three categories appears. Select the one that best matches what you’re selling.
Add photos and fill out the description fields to describe the item.
Select Next in the upper-right corner of the screen.
On the next screen, select the dots next to everywhere you want the listing promoted on Facebook and then tap Publish.
Your listing is discoverable in Facebook Marketplace regardless of whether you choose to promote it using any of these options. This page is optional.
The listing goes live immediately and appears at the top of the Facebook Marketplace page on the Facebook website and in the apps.
What Happens Next?
After your Facebook Marketplace listing goes live, interested buyers message you from Facebook Messenger to express interest. At this point, you’ll negotiate a payment method and a time and place to make the exchange.
Facebook Marketplace doesn’t process payments or organize shipping. It only pairs sellers with potential buyers. The collection of payment and the delivery of the service or product is up to the seller.
Many Facebook Marketplace sellers choose to accept cash. However, other options for payment are peer-to-peer payment apps, bank transfers, and cryptocurrency.
Best App to Sell Stuff on Facebook Marketplace
There isn’t an official Facebook Marketplace app for iOS or Android devices as the buy and sell app functionality is integrated into the main Facebook app and website.
While several unofficial apps can improve the Facebook Marketplace experience, the most reliable way to sell and buy on Facebook Marketplace is the main Facebook app that’s installed on most smartphones and tablets.
General Facebook Marketplace Tips
Selling items and services through Facebook Marketplace is swift and fairly accessible. There are, however, some things to keep in mind when selling on the platform.
- Meet Facebook Marketplace buyers in a public place with lots of people. If selling furniture or large items from home, make sure a friend, neighbor, or family member is also present.
- Never give a product or service to a buyer before receiving payment.
- Facebook Marketplace uses your main Facebook account to buy and sell items and services. This is convenient, but it may be a concern if you don’t want strangers to know your full name.
- Buyers can rate their experience with you, so be professional with your communication and delivery of the service or product. Bad reviews could turn away future buyers.
- Almost anything can be sold on Facebook Marketplace. However, selling animals and healthcare products is prohibited.
- If you’re selling more than one item on Facebook Marketplace, meet multiple buyers at the same time and place to make the exchange. This can save you from spending the time meeting each person individually.
- If selling imported electronics, double-check with the buyer to make sure that they know how to use it. You don’t want them claiming your product is faulty in a negative review.
- Facebook Marketplace buyers have been known to change their minds on a purchase at the last minute or forget to show up at the arranged time and place. To prevent frustrations, send buyers a reminder or confirmation message through Facebook Messenger on the morning of the meetup to make sure they don’t forget and are still interested.
SKB Journal appreciate you a lot for reading! If you enjoyed this piece by Samuel Kwame Boadu, kindly hit the share button and help others to also see it. You can also like our Facebook page, so you know when we make new posts or Click to JOIN our Telegram Channel where we post JOBS + TIPS.